Welcome to coreboot (Gateway page)
Welcome to coreboot!
Coreboot is a free BIOS/EFI replacement.
Why do you want coreboot?
- It's fast! Only one second from poweron to bootloader (BIOS and EFI need up to 45 seconds).
- It's free! It does not cost anything and you can modify it if you want.
- It's secure! Real password protection (if you want) and the old "CMOS clear" trick can be disabled.
- It's cool! You can build your own system like Splashtop or Expressgate even if your mainboard doesn't have it.
- It unlocks hidden features! If your board or processor can do something but the BIOS/EFI is locked down, coreboot can enable those hidden features.
- No longer begging the mainboard manufacturer for BIOS updates! Anyone with C programming experience can add features to coreboot, even if the manufacturer has stopped providing BIOS updates years ago.
- It works with Windows, Linux and most other operating systems!
- No legacy gunk! If you don't want BIOS compatibility, remove it with one click. If you don't want EFI compatibility, remove it with one click.
- It's lightweight! Coreboot needs less than 64 kB ROM. BIOS and EFI need up to 2 MB.
More info for users. (This needs to be a REALLY BIG colored button, maybe 300x300 pixels.)
More info for journalists. (Big button here as well.)
More info for developers. (Same as above.)