RomCC

Eric W. Biederman ebiederman at lnxi.com
Sun Nov 2 14:25:01 CET 2003

Dave Ashley <linuxbios at xdr.com> writes:

> These discussions on romcc running out of registers, optimizations, inline
> and all are surprising. Isn't the point of romcc to just get the system ram
> up right at the beginning?

Yes.

> Then once that is done any compiler (gcc) can be
> used to write code. Because dram configuration is so complicated and
> interpreting the SPD data from the dram, people would rather code that in 'C'
> than in x86 asm, so that's the purpose of romcc?

Yes.

The most common problem is for people to write a piece of code
that romcc cannot figure out how to make fit in only
a limited set of registers.  That is fairly rare at
the moment but it does happen.

To reduce register pressure romcc inlines all functions.  So there
is no need to store a return address anywhere.

Inlining everything leads to a case where code generated by
romcc is 3x larger than hand coded assembly for a similar problem.
Last I checked when using both sse and mmx registers on the Opteron
port I had about 8 free registers most of the time.  And my average
call depth is less than 8. So it looks reasonable to actually store
a return address and cut down on register pressure.

The reason register allocation is hard is that it is an NP complete
problem, which would take exponential time in the size of the program
if I was to implement a perfect algorithm.  Given that a O(N^2)
algorithm takes a full minute using the perfect algorithm is
unreasonable given that my current heuristic works almost every time.
Taking any longer would mess up a programmers productivity.  There is
one known corner case where the current heuristic fails that I would
like very much to improve.

But these are the only problems.  And once I have finished exploring
them romcc will be pretty much done.  I would not work quite as
much on them except I find solving the problems quite fun :)

Eric