[LinuxBIOS] r2602 - trunk/LinuxBIOSv2/util/getpir

Stefan Reinauer stepan at coresystems.de
Wed Apr 11 22:58:51 CEST 2007

* Uwe Hermann <uwe at hermann-uwe.de> [070411 22:32]:
> >  all: getpir checkpir
> > +	./checkpir
>
> Don't do this please. If I type 'make' I don't expect the build process
> to _run_ the resulting binary for me (won't work anyways as it needs
> root access and you usually don't compile as root).

In which case the result will be exactly the same as before, except it
tells you to become root to continue.

The intended result of this utility is irq_tables.c, not getpir. It's
just a side effect.

I agree, removing this might make sense though, since looking at the
code reveals that getpir does the same thing as checkpir, itself.

> > +irq_tables.c: getpir
> > +	./getpir
>
> See above.

This is a valid rule, it autocreates a file required for the build
process. We do that all over the place in LinuxBIOS (like, we build lar,
and then call it later on)

> > -test:   checkpir
> > -	./checkpir ;\
> > -	exit 0;
>
> An extra target such as this ('test' or 'run' or so) would be fine, though.

Stefan

      Tel.: +49 761 7668825 • Fax: +49 761 7664613