[LinuxBIOS] GA-M57SLI-S4 bios programming

Peter Stuge stuge-linuxbios at cdy.org
Fri Apr 13 02:15:53 CEST 2007

On Thu, Apr 12, 2007 at 06:09:59PM +0200, ST wrote:
> I am still puzzled how the second flash chip is to be used on the
> GA-M57SLI-S4 board.

Without further investigation of the board, noone but Gigabyte can
say how it's supposed to be used.

> As Peter mentioned LPC is used on this board. Would it be enough to
> use the flash chips (for programming and reading) to just disable
> one chip with the #init signal?

Yes, sure.

> It seems as if only one of the chips gets the #init to low, the
> other one will stay in reset mode and will keep its I/O pins in Z
> state?

Yes, but the question is what, if anything, controls the second
INIT#. The patent suggests a timer circuit, but your measurements
show that perhaps the timer circuit is just not there on production
boards.

One solution is of course to not connect the two INIT# to the pads on
the board, but to a separate switch circuit.

Desoldering a single PLCC pin is not impossible with a little care.

//Peter