[LinuxBIOS] GA-M57SLI-S4 bios programming

ST st at iss.tu-darmstadt.de
Fri Apr 13 11:24:27 CEST 2007

Hi

Thanks for your answer Peter.
> > As Peter mentioned LPC is used on this board. Would it be enough to
> > use the flash chips (for programming and reading) to just disable
> > one chip with the #init signal?
> Yes, sure.
Ok, this is good news.
> > It seems as if only one of the chips gets the #init to low, the
> > other one will stay in reset mode and will keep its I/O pins in Z
> > state?
> Yes, but the question is what, if anything, controls the second
> INIT#. The patent suggests a timer circuit, but your measurements
> show that perhaps the timer circuit is just not there on production
> boards.
I think that there may be a watchdog placed at the open DIL pins nearby the
flash if DualBios where to be used. But since there is plenty of
> One solution is of course to not connect the two INIT# to the pads on
> the board, but to a separate switch circuit.
I think that #init pin is connected to open pads for both flash chips. So it
should be pretty easy (1 or 2 pullup/pulldown resistors and 1 switch/jumper).
Which would be much easier than desoldering a PLCC32 flash chip. The only
thing i am not sure about is how the pulldown of #init on the soldered flash
is realized.

I am currently waiting for Beth/Jose to double check and for the delivery of
two spare flash chips and a PLCC32 socket.

ST