[LinuxBIOS] List of supported mainboards in the wiki

Myles Watson myles at pel.cs.byu.edu
Thu Apr 19 18:14:07 CEST 2007

> > If you really want a desktop section, then you could make desktop
> separate
> > and combine workstation/server (That's where the fuzziness comes in, not
> > desktop/server).  I guess that would make the desktop section pretty
> short,
> > but more accurately reflect the current situation.
>
> Hm, where do you see a difference between "Desktop" and "Workstation"?
> Personally, I use them as synonyms, but maybe I'm missing something.

It seems like those on the list who have been asking for "Desktop"
motherboards have been asking for "inexpensive" motherboards.

> Also, what would be the criteria to differ between desktop and
> workstation/server then?
Processors are already separated desktop/server (again, cost is a large
factor)

> Maybe we should just add a small note saying that the desktop/server
> categories can be pretty similar and you should check both?

That's fine with me.  I don't want to split hairs.  I was just surprised to
see my two Tyan boards (s2895 and s2892) in different categories, since they
are _very_ similar.

1. Tyan 	 Thunder K8WE (S2895) 	 AMD K8 	 AMD-8131T, NVIDIA
CK804 	 SMSCR LPC47B397		AMD OpteronT 	 Socket 940
2. Tyan 	 Thunder K8SE (S2892) 	 AMD K8 	 AMD-8131T, NVIDIA
CK804 	 WinbondT W83627HF	AMD OpteronT 	 Socket 940

Myles