[LinuxBIOS] lxbios bug?

Ward Vandewege ward at gnu.org
Mon Apr 23 22:53:48 CEST 2007

On Mon, Apr 23, 2007 at 10:38:18PM +0200, Stefan Reinauer wrote:
> The checksum was wrong, so none of the values were used.

Ah, that makes sense.

> It's not you doing this wrong. I think linuxbios should in fact reset
> the extended linuxbios range in cmos to the values it has hardcoded as
> defaults from the cmos options file.

Right. That would be cool.

> > I can't really seem to find any documentation about all the settings that are
> > possible with lxbios; most seem straightforward enough, but is there
> > something out there that describes each field?
>
> No. The wild thing is these settings may be different in each mainboard
> and many of them are there because of copy & paste.

I see! Hmmm, it would be a nice project to do some code analysis to find out
which port uses which settings, and document that.

> >   boot_first = HDD
> >   boot_second = Network
> >   boot_third = Floppy
> >   boot_index = 0xe
> >   boot_countdown = 0xfa
>
> I think these are used by some payload. Baremetal toolkit? Etherboot?

But not FILO, I take it?

I've started a page on lxbios on the LB wiki to document this:

  http://linuxbios.org/Lxbios

Thanks,
Ward.

--