[LinuxBIOS] ECS top hat flash - dual-bios-circuit useable elsewhere ?

Peter Stuge stuge-linuxbios at cdy.org
Sun Apr 29 20:09:42 CEST 2007

On Sun, Apr 29, 2007 at 08:06:08PM +0200, Quux wrote:
> it is an empty plcc32 socket to flip over an soldered in flash
> chip. attached to the socket is a secondary flash mem and some
> circuitry to handle the "chip enable" signal, i.e. pull down the
> primary one and daisy chain the data/addr bus.

I'd love to find out more about exactly how this is done.

> now I wonder, whether it is risky to use it on a non Elitegroup
> mainboard and it might brick a mobo with no matching circuitry.

Depends on if they do something special on their boards to allow it
to work safely, or if the top hat itself is safe enough.

> Ideally, I hope it works on a Gigabyte M57.    should I give it a
> go ?

Please do, but don't blame me if the board breaks. :)

Myself, I would investigate both the top hat and the mobo it came
from thoroughly before trying the hat on another board.

//Peter