[LinuxBIOS] ECS top hat flash - dual-bios-circuit useable elsewhere ?

David H. Barr dhbarr at gozelle.com
Sun Apr 29 20:38:44 CEST 2007

On 4/29/07, Peter Stuge <stuge-linuxbios at cdy.org> wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 29, 2007 at 08:06:08PM +0200, Quux wrote:
> > it is an empty plcc32 socket to flip over an soldered in flash
> > chip. attached to the socket is a secondary flash mem and some
> > circuitry to handle the "chip enable" signal, i.e. pull down the
> > primary one and daisy chain the data/addr bus.
>
> I'd love to find out more about exactly how this is done.

Probably a lot like the TiVo PROM back-to-back socket.  Basically two
plcc32 sockets soldered back to back with a few pin tweaks.  Yet
another variation on dead-roaching or piggy-backing a chip.

"tivo prom piggy" should get you there as a search query.  I've
occasionally wondered how hard it would be to have something like this
manufactured, thereby bypassing the whole TopHat / BIOSSavior vendor
specific issue.

Regards,
-dhbarr.