[LinuxBIOS] different versions of the GA-M57SLI-S4 (PLCC vs SPI)

Peter Stuge peter at stuge.se
Sat Sep 1 23:08:16 CEST 2007

On Sat, Sep 01, 2007 at 10:13:21PM +0200, Carl-Daniel Hailfinger wrote:
> >> SPI detection/flashing support is on my list.
> >
> > Is the SPI flash connected to the sio on the m57sli?
>
> No idea.

So we should find out.

Ward - do you have a continuity tester? Could you see if the SPI
flash chip is connected to the Super IO?

If I get a high-res photo of the Super IO and the flash chip area I
can mark the pins that should be connected on both to get a yes/no
indication.

> > I didn't think that's where the flash chip was actually
> > connected.
>
> AFAIK CK804/MCP55 don't have SPI support. That's why the SuperI/O
> adds it.

Intel ICH has SPI, but maybe different for NVIDIA chipsets.

The logic design controlled by the boot-from-PCI jumper on the m57sli
is less obvious with external SPI, but it's still entirely possible.
I hope it is this simple! :)

//Peter