[LinuxBIOS] FYI flashrom included in Fedora Linux since yesterday.

Uwe Hermann uwe at hermann-uwe.de
Sun Sep 9 22:09:03 CEST 2007

On Sat, Sep 08, 2007 at 05:05:02PM +0400, Peter Lemenkov wrote:
> Now not only a debian users can install it w/o any effords, but Fedora
> Linux users too.
>
> $ sudo yum install flashrom

Great, thanks! I documented this in the wiki, too, see
http://linuxbios.org/Flashrom

> Optional:
> Can you ask upstream to add an license header to udelay.c and include a copy of

Done.

> their license in the repository?

Done.

> There are some build warnings that should be reported upstream:
> layout.c: In function 'read_romlayout':
>
> layout.c:114: warning: ignoring return value of 'fscanf', declared with
> attribute warn_unused_result
> flashrom.c: In function 'main':
>
> flashrom.c:402: warning: ignoring return value of 'fwrite', declared with
> attribute warn_unused_result
>   flashrom.c:421: warning: ignoring return value of 'fread', declared with
> attribute warn_unused_result

Which compiler options did you use here? I don't see any warnings using
the stock svn code and Makefile. The warnings don't look critical to me, btw.

> And another one note - flashrom can't be built at PowerPC arch due to
> lack of <sys/io.h>. Does anybody also tried to build it at this arch?
> How powerpc-users of LinuxBIOS (if any) flash their machines?

Yep, flashrom doesn't build on all platforms, yet. On some it might not
even make sense to have flashrom at all (maybe S/390, a mainframe which
probably doesn't even have a "BIOS", or at least not in the traditional
sense; I'm just guessing, though).

See http://buildd.debian.org/pkg.cgi?pkg=flashrom for the current
architecture build status of the Debian package.

Any help with porting flashrom is highly welcome!

Uwe.