[LinuxBIOS] Payload selector method

Jordan Crouse jordan.crouse at amd.com
Mon Sep 10 17:41:08 CEST 2007

On 08/09/07 11:36 -0700, ron minnich wrote:
> On 9/8/07, Alex Beregszaszi <alex at rtfs.hu> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > After playing around with lbmenu, I came up with the following idea to
> > select payloads in a clean way.
> >
> > 1a, linuxbios parses the payload number cmos position, and starts the
> > selected payload
>
> or, if it is out of range, an emergency payload :-)
>

> > Imho it is better to have always the 1a, way running, but we have to be
> > sure the cmos contains a valid value.
>
> we want an unattended boot ability.

Absolutely, if the number isn't at all sane, then we just freak out and
load payload 0 by default.  Also, the payload number should have some magic
bits on it to ensure that what we see is intentional, Like make the top nibble
0xa or something (assuming that we can affort 8 bits of CMOS space, and
that we'll only have 16 payloads).  Anyway, you get my point.

Jordan

--
Jordan Crouse
Systems Software Development Engineer