[LinuxBIOS] different versions of the GA-M57SLI-S4 (PLCC vs SPI)

echelon at free.fr echelon at free.fr
Sat Sep 15 22:37:38 CEST 2007

Hi all,
First of all I have to apologise for answering so late on this topic but I was
very busy last time..

Quoting Peter Stuge <peter at stuge.se>:
> >  It works!!!
> Great to hear. Glad you can confirm they didn't do too much to change
> it.
ugh.. not so fast!..

> >  But some issues remain:
> >   -1) no support in flashrom for spi chips. I used a home made spi
> > programmer (with a Altera FPGA) to flash the rom image. I
> > "socketised" also the flash chip and the mainboard.
> Can you confirm or reject the theory for adding a switch?
I don't think we can install a second chip.. at least without heavy hardware
hacks (like desoldering the #CS of the first chip etc..)

> How did you do the socket?
Maybe I will send some photos later..

> >   -3) I tried to install a network card too (PCI also). When
> > booting with the factory bios image (Award) it works well, lspci
> > shows both the graphics adapter and the ethernet one. But when
> > booting with LB, these 2 items don't appear anymore into the lspci
> > scan..
> Does LB find them? Can you show us lspci from factory BIOS and full
> serial output from the LB boot?
Yes. I attach some files to this email:
 -1) lb_linux_dump.txt => this is the boot of LinuxBIOS and of Linux (a Ubuntu
Feisty distro) captured on a serial link.
 -2) award_linux_dmesg.txt => the result of dmesg after booting with the factory
(Award) bios.
 -3) lb_linux_dmesg.txt => the result of dmesg after booting with LinuxBIOS.
 -4) lspci_award.txt => the result of "lspci -vvv" after booting with the
factory bios.
 -5) lspci_lb.txt => the result of "lspci -vvv" after booting with LinuxBIOS
 -6) lspci_award_nnn.txt => "lspci -nnn" with factory bios.

> > It looks to me that the PCI bridge is not correctly initialized
> > into the SB : am I wrong or not on this issue?
> That could be it. Maybe they changed enough to make the board's
> Config.lb invalid.

 One remark : in lspci_award.txt on can see that the device 00:06.0 (PCI bridge)
is in "substractive decode" (i.e. "transparent") mode which is not the case in
lspci_lb.txt. What does this mean? Also the IO and memory windows are not at all
the same and in lb_linux_dmesg.txt one can see that these ranges are ..
"disabed" (what does this mean?!)

 A last request : can someone who has a PLCC version of m57sli send me some logs
(at least the LB boot logs..) please..

I'll be back...,
 Florentin