[LinuxBIOS] linuxbios support for thinkpads?

Uwe Hermann uwe at hermann-uwe.de
Fri Sep 21 16:59:55 CEST 2007

On Fri, Sep 21, 2007 at 01:08:40AM +0200, Peter Stuge wrote:
> > I just ran across an FSF web page in support of LinuxBIOS, and on
> > that page the FSF suggests writing directly to Intel:
> >
> > http://www.fsf.org/campaigns/supportlinuxbios.html
> > "Send e-mail to Intel, asking them to cooperate with a fully free
> > BIOS. Also send them a snail mail letter at:
> > Intel Corporation
> > 2200 Mission College Blvd.
> > Santa Clara, CA 95052
> > USA"

Yes, please do so.

> > If it's the opinion of the LinuxBIOS project that writing to Intel
> > isn't helpful, what else can I and other persons do to put pressure
> > on Intel (and like companies) to get them to release specs on their
> > laptop chipsets and embedded controllers?
>
> Call me cynical but I doubt individuals can make a difference here.

Nah, don't be too pessimistic. Ongoing nagging from customers _will_
make most companies rethink their decisions and priorities sooner or
later. Sure, there's no guarantee that they will react (soon, or at
all), but if you don't even try you have already lost.

> > If AMD is being much more supportive of the LinuxBIOS project than
> > Intel, what about approaching them? If I'm not mistaken, there are
> > a couple of AMD employees on this mailing list who are (were?)
> > actively engaged in getting LinuxBIOS to work with various AMD
> > chipsets...
>
> Yes, AMD supports LinuxBIOS as one of the boot software options on
> their systems. People at AMD work with LB. We think it is great of
> course! :)

Full ACK! The support from AMD is really great and very appreciated!

Uwe.