[LinuxBIOS] different versions of the GA-M57SLI-S4 (PLCC vs SPI)

Carl-Daniel Hailfinger c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net
Sun Sep 23 18:28:33 CEST 2007

On 02.09.2007 16:39, Ward Vandewege wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 01, 2007 at 09:30:54PM +0200, Carl-Daniel Hailfinger wrote:
>> On 01.09.2007 19:57, Peter Stuge wrote:
>>> Once we figure out the hardware, it will still be neccessary to
>>> reboot into DOS/Windows to flash either chip. :(
>> SPI detection/flashing support is on my list. However, it won't get done
>> in the next 3 weeks because I'm getting married next week and will be
>> offline for a while.
>>
>> Everyone can try the probe_superio patch for IT8716, though, and send
>> dumps for proprietary and LinuxBIOS to the list. It would be nice if I
>> had dumps for both types of M57SLI (SPI and PLCC) to be able to compare.
>
> And here's a dump from a soic/spi version of the m57sli, again with the
> proprietary BIOS.

Thanks Ward!

This confirms my suspicion that the IT8716F is indeed used for
LPC-to-SPI translation.

LDN 0x0, reg 0x24: val=0x1a
  serial flash interface at pin 29
  LPC write to serial flash enabled
  512kByte of flash are mapped at top of 4GByte
  128kByte of flash are mapped at top of 1MByte
  (1152kByte can be mapped at most)

LDN 0x7, reg 0x64/0x65: val=0x08/0x20
  serial flash interface base addr 0x0820 (that's an I/O port)

I have an idea what to do next, see my other mail in this thread.

Regards,
Carl-Daniel