[LinuxBIOS] sata issues on tyan s2891

Roman Kononov kononov at dls.net
Tue Sep 25 03:26:16 CEST 2007

On 09/24/2007 07:42 PM, ron minnich wrote:
> On 9/24/07, Roman Kononov <kononov at dls.net> wrote:
>> I have s2892 and Sun Ultra40, which have ck804 too. Linux can only detect
>> one hard drive per SATA controller. The second drive is either undetected or
>> times out. On s2892, some HD types, presumably all SATA-II, (Hitachi
>> HDS7280SA for instance), are detected at boot time, but miserably fail
>> later, with lots of log messages from the kernel driver. I compared the PCI
>> configuration registers (other than BARs, MSI, etc.) left by LinuxBIOS and
>> the factory BIOS: they were different.

I just recalled that the Hitachi drives, which failed later, were indeed
connected to the channel 0 on s2892. On Sun Ultra40, only the second
controller detected a channel 0 Hitachi drive. The first controller was
dead. The channel 1 never worked with any drives on either MB. Western
Digital drives have been fine in any channel 0. The phy is misconfigured.

> It is possible that the changed BIOS settings are a bug fix we don't
> know about. Can we get a list of differences?

Attached.

Roman