[LinuxBIOS] LinuxBios For Buy 2 Get 1 OLPC Laptop

Corey Osgood corey.osgood at gmail.com
Tue Sep 25 09:15:31 CEST 2007

big one wrote:
> OLPC (One Laptop Per Child) "Buy 2 Get 1" Laptops are sold for the public. One laptop is sent to the buyer and the other laptop is sent to a child in poor developing country.

This is great idea! I know there's been some demand for the XO in the US
market, this is a great way to please us greedy Americans and help out
developing countries at the same time! Thanks for drawing my attention
to it.

> Unfortunately there is NO BIOS in OLPC, therefore public users cannot use FreeDOS, BSD, AROS, Haiku, ReactOS etc.

Yes there is. There's just no standard PC BIOS like those OS's require,
IIRC, OpenFirmware is used. The XO was designed to run linux, and to run
linux well, and also to use only free, open-source software. Most PC
BIOS's are not open source, nor are they free, so they weren't an option.

> Is it possible to port LinuxBIOS to OLPC laptops?

Should be, early versions ran LinuxBIOS.

-Corey