[LinuxBIOS] A8N5X port

Robert Millan rmh at aybabtu.com
Thu Sep 27 22:21:56 CEST 2007

On Thu, Sep 27, 2007 at 07:14:08PM +0200, Uwe Hermann wrote:
> [Sorry for being late, I'm a bit, um... Internet-challenged at the moment.
>  No PGP signature for the same reason.]
>
> On Wed, Sep 26, 2007 at 11:50:52AM +0200, Robert Millan wrote:
> > On Tue, Sep 25, 2007 at 03:53:21PM -0700, ron minnich wrote:
> > > Robert, I understand the reason for the include of the .c files, but
> > > go ahead and just copy the code. We've tried both ways, over the
> > > years, and it's better to clone the code, since the vendors have a
> > > habit of changing things on mainboards, and code that includes other
> > > code can cause trouble in both directions.
>
> I strongly disagree with this approach. Duplicated code is bad, bad,
> bad and should be avoided whereever possible.

If we look at it in perspective, I think the cons for each option can be
summarised as:

  - duplicate: someone might waste time debugging/implementing/fixing
    something that was already done at the other branch.
  - include: someone might break board A in a commit that was only tested
    on board B.

AFAICS, the second is no big deal, it just takes a regression test which is
something even I can do ;-)

--
Robert Millan

(as seen on /.)