[LinuxBIOS] A8N5X port

Jordan Crouse jordan.crouse at amd.com
Fri Sep 28 22:51:45 CEST 2007

On 28/09/07 11:05 -0700, ron minnich wrote:
> OK, these mobos are close enough to each other to share most code. Let
> me throw out a challenge to this group. Make the bios image that runs
> on each board *IDENTICAL*. You can figure out what each board is --
> can you tell by which superio it is or something? -- and then case out
> in runtime.

There is a tipping point there though - many people chose LinuxBIOS for
the very reason that you don't carry around many Ks of code that you don't
need.  Even traditional BIOS vendors don't try this.  To me the more
important thing is to show that the hardware support is there, and that it
is a simple build option away.

> Why is this good? Because a vendor can see that with proper design, a
> single bios image can support many mainboards -- even if the hardware
> differs slightly -- thus reducing the cost.

I just think you have to be very careful - run time detection is not
what puts the butts in the seats.

Jordan

--
Jordan Crouse