[coreboot] [RFC] v3 dtc testsuite

Carl-Daniel Hailfinger c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net
Mon Sep 8 02:40:25 CEST 2008

Hi,

the v3 dtc code has been an area where we had bugs in the past, and I
believe we might hit some old bugs and/or introduce new bugs in the
future. I'd like to spot bugs as early as possible during compile time,
not as random corruption/crash/misbehaviour during runtime.

I have a simple testcase dts on my disk which caused the generated
statictree.c to explode during compilation. That dtc bug was fixed by
the struct naming patch in r860.

There also is a more complicated torture dts for which statictree.c will
cause runtime NULL dereferences. Checking this at compile time would
require the build system to compile statictree.c and a verification
walker with HOSTCC before including it in the build.

Should we introduce compile-time checks for any possible bugs,
especially those we already hit in the past? What do you think?

Regards,
Carl-Daniel

--
http://www.hailfinger.org/