[coreboot] via vt82c686 southbridge

Daniel Lindenaar daniel-coreboot at lindenaar.eu
Tue Sep 9 20:42:50 CEST 2008

ron minnich wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 9, 2008 at 11:33 AM, Daniel Lindenaar
> <daniel-coreboot at lindenaar.eu> wrote:
>

>> Ah I see, it's pretty much how the i2cdetect app works. I just did that and
>> I got 128 times: "smbus_error: 04, Device Error", which is the same as I got
>> from the spd functions :/

Cr*p it seems I've overlooked that there were only 126 errors and
actually 0x5a and 0x5b did reply... Does this help?

> interesting. Can you remind me of how i2cdetect works? Directly
> diddles registers, knows how to do it?

Well it uses the i2c-dev and i2c-* modules in the linux kernel which do
know how to diddle registers by calling i2c_smbus_read_byte(...) on most
addresses and i2c_smbus_write_quick(...) on others, depending on
expected behavior of the slaves.

regards
Daniel