[coreboot] Opteron 165 in v2

Vincent Legoll vincent.legoll at gmail.com
Wed Sep 10 19:52:44 CEST 2008

On Wed, Sep 10, 2008 at 7:04 PM, Peter Stuge <peter at stuge.se> wrote:
> Vincent Legoll wrote:
>> is there something to be careful about, when using opteron 165
>> (dual core opteron without registered ECC ram support)
>
> Not that I know of, but maybe someone else knows.

Has anyone run coreboot on opteron 1X5 series ?

>> I'm asking that because I have such a CPU and I have really strange
>> bug when booting linux kernel, and I have been told that it could
>> be RAM-related... And I'm actually unable to pinpoint the problem
>> myself.
>
> Let memtest86 run for a few days

A few days will be a pain to do, the box is noisy and in my only room, and
would need another box running alongside to serve as serial console.
UGGH

I've ran it for 2 hours and it had found nothing, OK I know that to be sure
one has to let it run for a few days, but the ram problem I'd be expecting
is not of the bad HW kind, more of the badly initialized HW, maybe MTRR
or something like that...

The box ran linux just fine for a long time being a networked distcc compile
node, so CPU & ram should be fine (this kind of setup often exhibits any
ram problems, maybe even more than memtest under certain circumstances)

I'm still not having problem with it booted through legacy BIOS. Are you
suggesting coreboot is so aggressive on ram that it would exhibit such
behaviours ?

I think the likelyhood that I messed something setting up coreboot is
probably higher than faulty HW...

--
Vincent Legoll