[coreboot] Convert Assembly JMP to C

Patrick Georgi patrick at georgi-clan.de
Fri Sep 12 02:12:14 CEST 2008

Joseph Smith schrieb:
> are really opposed to. But, All the info to boot is laid out in the
> MBR/first sector of the Active Partition.

The first sector contains code. Code, that usually relies on BIOS
services to proceed (eg. to load its own config, to load the kernel, etc)
> 1. the MBR tells us where to find first sector of the Active Partition.
> 2. The first sector of the Active Partition tells us where OS Boot Sector
> code (GRUB stage2) is

Even GRUB stage2 relies on BIOS services for all kind of hardware
access. Granted, there are native drivers (some of them appeared because
of coreboot), but I think you usually won't find them in the boot
sector of an installed system.

When it comes to other boot loaders, all bets are off (though I'd wager
a bet that except for highly specialized stuff, all of them rely on
BIOS, if only, to support booting from various IDE/SCSI/whatever
controllers)

Regards,
Patrick Georgi