[coreboot] some words on Multiboot...

Stefan Reinauer stepan at coresystems.de
Thu Sep 25 14:04:34 CEST 2008

Robert Millan wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 25, 2008 at 11:16:39AM +0200, Stefan Reinauer wrote:
>
>> Yes, I'm curious, too. Which real world payloads work now that didn't
>> work before?
>>

> http://grub.enbug.org/MultibootSystems has a list of noteworthy payloads
> using Multiboot.  As I mentioned before, this list shouldn't be considered
> exhaustive, since Multiboot is commonly used for new small projects, in part
> due to the wide deployment of GRUB as a bootloader.

Yes, the list is well known; Thanks for bringing it up again. My
question aimed more at which of these, except grub invaders, can
actually work now.

The idea of booting an AROS kernel from the ROM is pretty nice indeed,
giving the old Amiga "Kickstart" feeling back.

>> I think XEN needs the actual DOM0 kernel loaded as a module (which we
>> can't do yet, can we?)
>>

> Xen (and for that matter, the Hurd) would need support for loading multiple
> code images, a feature which will be necessary if you want these as payloads,
> regardless on whether you use their existing Multiboot support or you replace
> it with something else.
>
> In other words, my work didn't solve the Xen problem, but it brings you a step
> closer as it only leaves the multi-object part to be implemented, and doesn't
> require you to modify Xen itself.

So, do you see a simple method to get that "multiple code images" (is
that multiboot modules?) support in there? I think this would greatly
increase the number of supported multiboot systems (including openbios
btw :-)

Stefan

      Tel.: +49 761 7668825 • Fax: +49 761 7664613