The wiki is being retired!
Documentation is now handled by the same processes we use for code: Add something to the Documentation/ directory in the coreboot repo, and it will be rendered to https://doc.coreboot.org/. Contributions welcome!
The long term goal is to replace the common LinuxBIOS payload FILO with a LinuxBIOS-capable version of GRUB2.
To achieve this, two things need to happen.
- Build a single grub2.elf binary that contains all modules required to boot the system.
- Add an IDE driver to GRUB2.
- Tristan Gingold has written an IDE driver for GRUB2.
- Stefan Reinauer started integrating this IDE driver and building a single grub2.elf binary.
- Currently, GRUB2 on x86 platforms is rather dependent on a legacy BIOS and starting from 16bit mode.